Collapse
No announcement yet.

EPIC EVE!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• EPIC EVE!

THEATRE REVIEW of GLAMM Productions THE WISDOM OF EVE Theatre Works Directed by Meredith Fuller

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24580[/ATTACH]

4 performances left: playing Fri 6.45, Sat matinee 1.45 & GALA 6.45, Sunday 5pm
    How do solve a problem like Maria..... fck wrong movie damn How do u solve a problem like my Eva, ah yes that feels better already. Not a musical not an opera but of operatic proportions this juggernaut of dialogue and intrigue is none-the-less a fascinating amalgam of script to film n back again... phew!!

Arriving at the all now all too familiar "Theatreworks' in Acland St (just around the cnr from the only Penthouse I ever managed to live in longer than 2yrs in neighboring Eildon Rd St Kilda Melbourne Australia) it felt a bit like a nice homo-coming. The last time I was in this space (originally an old Sunday-school play-center) was to see hear the astonishingly brilliant Margaret Fulton Queen Of The Dessert which we (www.theoperaboys.com our now defunct website) loved loved loved also. (Perish the word) "Musicals" mercifully there is no singing in this play bravo.

If you're finding this review a bit all over the place remember I am coming out of retirement from a background of film arts-opera review especially for this show. A reworking (original script version of) All About Eve.... a gay cult film classic thnx to legendary toxic-queen of malice n mirth Bette Davis (my hero). So wot do we ave ere then.....Meredith Fuller n Co? It's a Fuller-on version (pun intended) of an entry level "mistresspiece" of theater/angst.

Opening tonites performance was the fabulis duo-combo "5 O'clock shadow" on guitars kazoo drums n didgeridoo n vocals, lead singer Paul Morris appearing later in the play itself as witty incisive TV columnist Tally Ho.

We all apparently know the story of how innocent/amateur ingénue schemer Eve Harrington rises to the top in Broadway by flattering and undermining/sabotaging her idol music-star Margo Crane (am I the only person in the world who has never seen the original film?) I blame opera classical music and Eric Satie for saving me the theatre/film whirled. This gal is on fire.....(Eve) Lauren Murtagh as she simmers her way into the hearts lives n minds of her soon to be contemporaries; plotting scheming lying scheming betraying you know all the good bits in musical theater are in her kitbag of stardom.

On a divided set(s) stage floor the dressing room stage-left n various interiors at right the play at times runs several conversations interweaved like a Warhol movie; this works to great effect, as after-all it is a story of parallels n personal comparisons/achievements supposedly steered by men in power with women as players. Classic theatre/Jungian archetypes are all included and given equal time for us audience to get to gleefully love n hate most characters in turn.
    Not liking musical theatre much at all it appealed nicely to my wicked sense of humor and drama. Would I go see it again.... Yes this Saturday (as reviewers we really mostly only ever go see live-theater for the opening party (we will go again because they have the GALA audience frock up do at the end of its season).

Bitchy fabulis schema campy archetypical figures playing themselves playing out their (and now also our) personal vendettas/atrocities against good taste n theatre "these r the things these r the things the things that dreams are made of" .

Human League

GLAMM Productions (Gary Wall, Ana Della Rocca, Meredith Fuller)

The Wisdom of Eve cast directed by Meredith Fuller

Lauren Murtagh, Natasha Broadstock, Ana Della Rocca, Peter Hatherley, Gary Wall, Jacob Antolini, Paul Morris, Lindy Yeates, Damian Oehme, Davida Graham.

- by Lionel Tom Curtis; Gay Jungian Alchemist Kabbalist https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/my-in...mp-reader-card

Posting comments is disabled.

article_tags

Collapse

Latest Articles

Collapse

• How an Android App Development company can Boost Your Revenue?
      by Mick Pacholli

Mobile apps have become everyone’s part of life. Due to this, companies develop their own app to provide their products and services. It has become necessary for the growth of the business. If you own a business, you require an app to take your business to the next level. You can hire an
      Android development Sydney company.

Today you can find an app for every purpose, whether it is booking a cab, shopping, transferring money, watching videos, etc. It is very easy to use,
      23 March 2022, 02:52 PM
    • How much can I get for my broken car in Melbourne?
      by Mick Pacholli

Are you wondering how much I can get for broken cars?

Do you have a broken car taking up space in your garage? Are you ready to upgrade to a new vehicle and get rid of your old and unwanted one?

Worry not! Because selling a broken car is not something that the average consumer often does. In fact, many may not even have any experience about the same. Moreover, there are no such things as published prices for junk cars based on make, model, year, or...
      10 December 2021, 12:15 PM
    • 3 Investments That Might Help You in Your Old Age
      by Mick Pacholli

One of the most constant concerns that adults have is maintaining financial stability. Whether it’s for their households, or themselves, having enough money is a regular source of stress for many people. Fortunately, there are ways to build your finances over time. One group which has to deal with such concerns is elderly citizens.

As an elderly citizen, having money is extremely important. As you age, you need a nest egg to survive. Today we’ll focus...
      6 October 2021, 12:27 AM
    • Re: Should our troops be re engaged in Iraq?
      by Isobel Blackthorn
      Iraqi Civil War

As Iraq breaks down into civil war our Prime Minister is making noises that we may have to take part in an 'allied' resolve to interfere again.

What do you think?
      I think we should never have taken part first time round. Either the US and its allies are profoundly stupid in that they could not envisage the mayhem they would cause given the initial conditions, or profoundly clever, since last I heard of the $2 Trillion the US spent in Iraq, 90...
      21 August 2021, 09:58 PM
    • Do You know that the kitchen is the Biggest Hidden Source of Contamination?
      by Mick Pacholli

The kitchen is the heart of a house where you feel safe to sit and eat. But to your surprise, today, we will tell you that the kitchen is the biggest source of bacterial contamination. Amid a global pandemic taking care of kitchen hygiene to prevent any contamination from the food brought from outside is also imperative. Research has shown that the moist and humid temperature of the kitchen is favourable for microorganisms to grow and reproduce. Therefore, taking preventive...
      21 March 2021, 03:02 PM
    • Listen To Older Voices: Max Borchardt - Part 2
      by Rob Greaves
      Welcome to Listen To Older Voices, a program produced by Rob Greaves for Wesley Mission Victoria and podcast through the Toorak Times.

Listen To Older Voices presents the stories, views and opinions of our older citizens. It is predominantly in a life & times format, with interviewees reflecting upon their lives from earliest memories. An underlying principal of the program is to promote the concept of positive ageing, reinforcing the principle that older people have & continue to make a valuable contribution to both their local & wider community. ...
      26 March 2017, 07:16 AM
    Working...
    X