Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, you wanna go to Japan!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• So, you wanna go to Japan!

Greetings, well Melbourne's winter is here, seems a perfect time to go somewhere else! And why not Japan, I have been to many places but had never considered the Land of the Rising Sun, until, that is, I met a Brazilian girl of Japanese heritage a few years ago, she queried, given my professed love of Asia, why it was not on my list of places to see? I didn't really have an answer, she continued that given that I enjoyed diversity above most other things, Japan seemed a natural fit, being "one of the most diverse cultures in the world"..fair enough I thought, and after a bit of research, (and finding a cheap air fare), I'm off!

I'm not sure for how long, Australians get an automatic 90 day visa on entry so, given other commitments, I expect I will stay between 30 and 60 days, by way of research I have met with a Japanese student to try to learn some useful phrases, she was very sweet and giggled a lot, I wondered were "all Japanese like her"? "No" she assured me, I managed to learn "arigato" (thankyou), and that if you say "konichiwa" to a Japanese person you will probably frighten them She gave me a more appropriate phrase to use, but I forgot it already, next language exchange I do I will be taking a pen and paper..

So I'm busy researching accommodation and attractions, there won't be too much "carved in stone", it's not my style, but I obviously need to find a place for when I arrive. I imagine lodgings will consist of a mixture of hotels, airbnb, couchsurfing, and the occasional night on a bus or train..

So far so good, what I've learned to this point has just whet my appetite for more, I'm genuinely excited to be going, and you, dear reader (there could be more than one down the track..) are welcome to join me for the ride..comments are welcome, particularly those that provide hint's, tips and generally useful information pertaining to the trip!

Cheers!
      Posting comments is disabled.

article_tags

Collapse

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Welcome to Korea!
      by Elliot Ness
      Moving right along I embarked on the next "leg" of my journey by hopping a ferry from Fukuoka in Japan to Busan in South Korea (which I will refer to as Korea). I have never had any real interest in visiting Korea, but given it was just across the "ditch" and I do have a great friend who live's here it seemed appropriate to go. I hadn't done any research, my arrival point was the most convenient given my location in Japan and the advice I received from my friend Jin, so an overnight bus ride fr...
      10 August 2012, 10:28 PM
    • A Day in the Life
      by Elliot Ness
      Travelling is not all glamorous hotels, sandy beaches, exotic night life and cultural revelations, the more mundane daily tasks like, well, survival, also have to be tended to...with this in mind I headed off to my local supermarket to get my breakfast supplies, banana`s and yoghurt, cereal is not common and is restricted to things like froot loops and equally sugary variants, and at the asking price they are not an option, at all. So I headed into the arcade, mindful of the ubiquitous bicycles.. ...
      31 July 2012, 06:14 PM
    • A Day in the Life
      by Elliot Ness
      Travelling is not all glamorous hotels, sandy beaches, exotic night life and cultural revelations, the more mundane daily tasks like, well, survival, also have to be tended to...with this in mind I headed off to my local supermarket to get my breakfast supplies, banana`s and yoghurt, cereal is not common and is restricted to things like froot loops and equally sugary variants, and at the asking price they are not an option, at all. So I headed into the arcade, mindful of the ubiquitous bicycles.. ...
      31 July 2012, 06:14 PM
    • Sumo!
      by Elliot Ness
      An enduring aspect of Japanese culture is Sumo, a competitive full-contact sport where a wrestler (rikishi) attempts to force another wrestler out of a circular ring (dohyo) or to touch the ground with anything other than the soles of the feet. The sport originated in Japan, the only country where it is practiced professionally. My only experience was the rare glimpse we get on Australian TV, enough to create considerable interest when the prospect of attending a Grand Sumo tournament presented i...
      28 July 2012, 12:28 PM
    • A Day in Kyoto
      by Elliot Ness
      Before arriving in Japan I had heard about the Gion-matsuri, a month long festival, one of Japan`s three most important apparently, held in the city of Kyoto, and I was reliably informed that one of it`s highlights is "yamaboko jyunko", parade of halberds, on the morning of the 17th. It was common knowledge in my Osakan hotel and a number of guests were planning to attend so when these Chinese boy`s (from Malaysia) that I had previously met told me they were going it seemed a good fit, they were o...
      18 July 2012, 01:11 PM
    • The revolution has begun!
      by Elliot Ness
      Greetings, I`ve decided this practise of riding bicycles on the footpath is allowed, no, tolerated, because of the unfailing politeness of the inhabitants of this city. That is those inhabitants not threatening the live`s of humble Osakan pedestrians by weaving in and out along crowded footpaths! I am reliably informed that the practise itself is outlawed but it seems so ingrained and so prolific that the police appear to have little or no chance to prevent it. What`s required is a push fr...
      15 July 2012, 04:20 PM
    Working...
    X